Interest and enthusiasm across sectors about how to integrate health into audits/assessments and upgrades
- Challenge of Definition: What are the core healthy property maintenance questions we should include? What are the building conditions that we need to ask about that would inform the scope of work for the retrofit or rehab work?
- Challenge of Measurement: how to measure and show the impact of energy efficiency on health outcomes? How does this compare to EE audits and interventions that include a health focus?
No clear models exist for multifamily assessments with health where the health upgrade work is funded
- Responding to sick patients: health care system is funding some interventions, but mostly in single-family units (not multifamily units)
- Prevention systematically in MF facilities: leverage energy assessment/audit and upgrade to systematically prevent negative health outcomes
- Innovative ideas on the horizon for funding, such as social impact bonds (Green & Healthy Homes Initiative), FDIC funding, Hospital Community Benefit Funds, and Public loan systems (i.e. Rhode Island Infrastructure Bank)
Many groups are looking at Non-Energy Efficiency Benefits—such as health—in energy efficiency work
- Green & Healthy Homes Initiative
- New York Housing Department’s Green Preservation Program and Local Initiatives Support Corporation’s “Two Shades of Green”
- California Healthy Housing Coalition