Task: Determine the state of the field (best practices and new ideas) for financing low-income solar in affordable multifamily homes.
- There is significant variety in the markets where affordable housing solar projects can be deployed.
- “The devil is in the details” regarding how projects might be financed. We began compiling “info sheets” that describe completed, in-progress, and failed deals.
- Info sheets present the size, scale, and type of a project, participating parties (e.g., building ownership, financing partners), and the local policy and regulatory environment. Check out our draft info sheets (first page is a template)
Finding 2 (a caveat)
- Our challenge group included several different stakeholder types – financers, policy researchers, technical assistance providers and property owners. Variety in perspectives and roles made common ground difficult. Each stakeholder’s approach varies based on priorities.
- Compile our findings from the info sheets and distill them into a guide/resource matching financing models with types of projects/scenarios.
- Connect real-world lenders with building owners and operators.
- Share the case studies from this group with existing resources and networks (e.g. SAHLLN on the EEFA site).